Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:45:59 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu>
Cc:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tun and ALTQ

--nextPart2460443.PiCAeWLt4t

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 18:15, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:39:02PM +0100, Marko Cuk wrote:
> > It seems that it work. Thanks.
> >
> > Damn, for vlan's ( 802.1Q)  you should specify "em", for "tun", vice
> > versa... what a mess, hehe.
>
> No prob; I don't see why using the em(4) backing the tun(4) wouldn't
> work for ALTQ _IF_ you actually tagged the (PPPoE?) traffic on em(4).
> I think that might be really hard, though, so for ALTQ you should
> probably just specify the "logical" interface that you intend to
> limit (that would be the IP tun(4) rather than the PPPoE em(4)).

The problem with tun(4) in contrast to vlan(4) is that in some cases the=20
packet has to go through userland (i.e. userland PPPoE).  During this detou=
r=20
the packet loses the ALTQ mbuf_tag and thus can no longer be stuck into the=
=20
right queue.  That is why there is ALTQ support on tun(4) eventhough it=20
doesn't make that much sense to introduce "unnatural" queueing in the pseud=
o=20
interface.  For vlan(4) there is no such problem (VLANs are handled in the=
=20
kernel all the way) so it's easy to stick the ALTQ tags on the packet and=20
queue on the hardware interface underneath.

> Do you have suggestion on what would be good text to go into pf.conf(5)
> so that this particular case is documented?

[-> doc@, maybe somebody is interested/creative? ]

=2D-=20