Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:28:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, Chris Luke <chrisy@flix.net>, Brendon and Wendy <brendy33@attbi.com>
Subject:   Re: mp_machdep.c patch

On 04-Feb-2003 Terry Lambert wrote:
> Brendon and Wendy wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply Chris.
>>
>> Based on your "top" output Id have to say that HT is not working right on this
>> machine at least. I see all proceses on cpus 0 and 1, exactly the same as
>> prior to cvsuping and rebuilding. In fact I wonder whether the kernel has
>> only seeing one physical CPU and is doing HT on that CPU - completely
>> ignoring the second.
>
> You have to enable HT in the BIOS.  If it is not enabled in the
> BIOS, it will not add entries to the MP Table for the virtual
> processors, and they will not be recognized.

This is not correct.  Some BIOS's list all virtual processors in
the mptable (in which case the HTT patch is not needed and basically
has no affect) but most only list the first core in each physical
CPU.  Enabling/disabling HT in the BIOS usually only affects ACPI's
MADT table, not the MP table.  The HT patch I wrote doesn't use the
BIOS at all.  It _only_ uses the values in registers returned from
cpuid.