Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:51:50 +0200
From:      lada@ws6303.gud.siemens.at (marino.ladavac@siemens.at)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nadav@barcode.co.il
Subject:   Re: NFS mounts on NT with Hummingbird Maestro

> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Fri Jun 27 10:39:33 MET 1997
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:26:08 +0300 (IDT)
> From: Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: NFS mounts on NT with Hummingbird Maestro
>
> Hi,
>
> Well, I'm not sure that this at all belongs here, but I decided it's
> worth a try.
>
> I have an NT server running Hummingbird Maestro NFS Server (v 5.1.3). I
> cannot get root access to mounts from that server, no matter what I tell
> the Maestro server in its exports file. Other than that it works fine.
> Hummingbird tech support got me nowhere. In addition, I have no other
> types of NFS clients on this net, so I can't even verify whether it's
> FreeBSD's or the NFS server's setup that's wrong (or buggy...)

In my experience, NFS servers remap root to nobody (UID -2).  Only a few
(SunOS 4, *BSD, I'm not sure about SunOS 5) allow the exporter to control
the remapping feature.

In other words, there is nothing wrong, you simply will not be getting root
access (we have to live with this security "feature" on our HP's).

SUID root binaries will work, but everything you create as root will belong
to nobody, and chown will not work.  It's a major pain.

/Marino