Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 12:51:25 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Domain Name Registrars

Duane Whitty wrote:

> All I want to do is have my registrar point the name server entries for a
> .com domain I'm managing at the name servers I'm running.  Why is this so
> difficult?  Or expensive?
>
> Is it my fault?  Am I doing something wrong?  -- I know, kinda hard to
> answer that.

Without more detail, yes, however ...

> My registrar told me my name server needs to be registered with ICANN.

Your registrar is smoking crack. There is no such requirement (nor could
there be). I am quite sure about this, I used to work at ICANN. I would
suggest that you run, do not walk, to transfer your domains to another
registrar. Then, I'd send ICANN a complaint about the registrar you are
using currently. karen.lentz@icann.org is your best bet, assuming things
haven't changed too much since I left.

hope this helps,

Doug