Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:23:01 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xorg upgrade and /etc/ttys regression

--=-iQq366k+gJAw8RjT9aVh

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 10:55 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Just to be clear ...  Am I understanding things right that
> the new X server requires hald and dbus running?  It won't
> work anymore without them?
>=20
> (That would be a good reason for me not to update.)

It will work without it.

you need to specify Option "AutoAddDevices" "off" in the ServerLayout
section of your xorg.conf.

You can also disable the HAL option when building the server, but you
still need the above I believe.  I think it has been fixed in git so
that if HAL is not configured that the defaults revert to the old
behavior.

robert.

> Best regards
>    Oliver