Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:32:14 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup procedures--help!

forgive the repost.

Thanks,

Michael Alwan
------------446B9B3D2781E494167EB0E70

To all:

Downloaded the modula-lib-3 package and cvsup-14.1.1.tgz pakcages, which seemed to install ok.  Started a ppp connection with my ISP, ran "cvsup stable-supfile"; immediately got the error message "can't get IP address of my own host -- is its host name correct?"  I get this message whether or not I'm running user ppp.

Looked more carefully at the latest version of freebsd handbook.  It says not to use the modula and cvsup packages with systems earlier than 2.2 (I have 2.1.7).  So I got the reccommended dtatically linke binaries instead from freefall.freebsd.  These installed ok.  Ran cvsup again as above, got the same error message.

Included below is the stable-supfile I am using--probably incorrrectly configured, but I need more information.

Another question:  if I cvsup the 2.2.1 sorces, am I getting binaries that simply replace those on my system--like installing a new distribution?  Or am I getting code that hs to be compiled on my machine?  I see messages on the mailing lists about people cvsupping and then having to "make world," which I assume means recompiling all binaries on their system.  What exactly takes place?

If these binaries are being remade, do I need a lot of free disk space--"scratch" space as it were--in /usr?  My 500MB freebsd partition is 70% full in the /usr slice.

Sorry for so many questions, but one implies the other.

Thanks!!!

Michael

# $Id: stable-supfile,v 1.7 1997/02/22 13:55:48 peter Exp $
#
# This file contains all of the "CVSup collections" that make up the
# FreeBSD-stable source tree.
#
# CVSup (CVS Update Protocol) allows you to download the latest CVS
# tree (or any branch of development therefrom) to your system easily
# and efficiently (far more so than with sup, which CVSup is aimed
# at replacing).  If you're running CVSup interactively, and are
# currently using an X display server, you should run CVSup as follows
# to keep your CVS tree up-to-date:
#
#	cvsup stable-supfile
#
# If not running X, or invoking cvsup from a non-interactive script, then
# run it as follows:
#
#	cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile
#
# You may wish to change some of the settings in this file to better
# suit your system:
#
# host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
#		This specifies the server host which will supply the
#		file updates.  Please change this to one of the mirror
#		sites if possible.  (See the "README" file.)  You can
#		override this setting on the command line with cvsup's
#		"-h host" option.
#
# base=/usr
#		This specifies the root where CVSup will store information
#		about the collections you have transferred to your system.
#		A setting of "/usr" will generate this information in
#		/usr/sup.  Even if you are CVSupping a large number of
#		collections, you will be hard pressed to generate more than
#		~1MB of data in this directory.  You can override the
#		"base" setting on the command line with cvsup's "-b base"
#		option.  This directory must exist in order to run CVSup.
#
# prefix=/usr
#		This specifies where to place the requested files.  A
#		setting of "/usr" will place all of the files requested
#		in "/usr/src" (e.g., "/usr/src/bin", "/usr/src/lib").
#		The prefix directory must exist in order to run CVSup.

# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
*default compress

## Main Source Tree.
#
# The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
# mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections,
# except for "src-eBones" and "src-secure".
#src-all

# These are the individual collections that make up "src-all".  If you
# use these, be sure to comment out "src-all" above.
src-base
src-bin
src-contrib
src-etc
#src-games
src-gnu
src-include
src-lib
src-libexec
src-release
src-sbin
src-share
src-sys
src-tools
src-usrbin
src-usrsbin

## Export-restricted collections.
#
# Only people in the USA and Canada may fetch these collections.  If
# you are not in the USA or Canada, please use the collections in the
# "secure-supfile" instead.
#src-eBones
#src-secure

------------446B9B3D2781E494167EB0E70--