Date:      25 Jun 99 22:56:29 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: coarse vs fine-grained locking in SMP systems]

Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi> wrote:
> mo@servo.ccr.org (Mike O'Dell) writes:
> > we published the best Unix SMP paper I've ever seen in Computing
> > Systems - from the Amdahl guys who did an SMP version of the kernel
> > by very clever hacks on SPLx() macros to make them spin locks and
> > a bit of other clever trickery on the source.  they could take a stoc=
> =

> An approach like that can't possibly be sufficient if code has been
> written with the assumption that only interrupt-like events or
> blocking calls can change things from under it.  There is quite a bit
> of code in FreeBSD that relies on this.
> =

   Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I think I missing
   some of the finer points on what you are saying.

   I work on interrupt driven device drivers and I'm trying
   to see how this ties in.

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml