Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:41:04 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Bruce Evans <bde@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Darren Reed <darrenr@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SHARED=symlinks, /sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet: problems and the fix

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:07:54PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There are some problems with the current location of IPFilter sources.
>
> 1.  The idea of http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/docs/sysorg.txt was
>     that src/sys/contrib/ mirrors the structure of src/sys/; this is
>     currently broken.  src/sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/ should have
>     been actually called the src/sys/contrib/netinet/.

I'm ambivalent on this.  On one hand, having the additional directory
level nicely categorizes the nature of the sys/contrib bits in the same
sense that /src/contrib does, and makes it easier to remove.  OTOH,
this might get messy at some point.

> 3.  Introduce new /usr/include/contrib/ and make it a part of standard
>     include dirs for our gcc(1):
>
> 	#define SYSTEM_INCLUDE_DIR PREFIX"/include/contrib"
>
>     which will mirror the organization of /usr/include/.
>     src/sys/contrib/netinet/ headers will then go to
>     /usr/include/contrib/netinet/, and SHARED=symlinks could made
>     be working again.

I *really* don't like the idea of creating a separate include/contrib
directory, and this in particular seems an especially pointless move
in order to cater to the SHARED=symlinks case.
--
Jonathan