Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:23:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <druber@kersur.net>
To:        N <niels@bakker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID solutions?

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, N wrote:

> >> I have a box with 20 disks, split over four controllers (yes, you guessed
> >> it: a news server).  Running 3.0-CURRENT from somewhere last month.  Very
> >> happy with FreeBSD, very unhappy with INN.
> > Unhappy how?  Why?
>
> CNFS isn't too fast.  See news.software.nntp and the inn-workers@isc.org
> archives, among others.

Oh, you too?  I gave CNFS a shot for a couple of months.  Beaucoup
complaints from users about horrible speed.  Auto-expiration is cool, but
not at this price.  Two days ago, I switched back to traditional, although
I'm thinking of trying timehash.  Anyone have any opinions on that?

> >> I think you'd be better off with 4 GB disks - less latency when you have
> >> to do a *lot* of seeks (like you have to for a news swerver), but that's
> >> more a question for news.software.nntp.
> > That is my first choice, but that requires twice the hardware.  I'll have
> > to run that by management...
>
> On the other hand, the hardware is cheaper.  You can run Diablo on 9GB
> disks, but a reader machine is a different beast altogether, especially
> if you use traditional spool.
>
> And didn't mgt. give you a bag of money to throw at the problem anyway? :-)

Well, yeah, but there are limits :)