Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:05:33 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/68869: netcard: Unexpect packet size, drop packet.

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:26:09PM +0000, Magicloud wrote:

 > >Number:         68869
 > >Category:       sparc64
 > >Synopsis:       netcard: Unexpect packet size, drop packet.
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 >       I have a ftp server (pure-ftpd) on the machine without speed limit, and the machine is in a 100M LAN. When file transfering, randomly, console reported that the netcard drop the packet for unexpect packet size.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >       Randomly. Sometime, even if a lot of file transfer, there is nothing happened. While sometime, when I check the log, a lot of error in it. And in daily mail, before the ftp was used heavily, there were tens of IErrs, while after, there are thousands of.
 > >Fix:
 >       I use current on another machine which has the same problem when use 5.2.1, and ... I think, the problem does not occur till now.

I had the same problem on my Ultra2 which runs -CURRENT.
The real cause of the problem seems to be the lack of
auto-negotiation capability of hme(4). According to the commit
logs from Marius, hme(4) with DP83840A PHY has the problem.

I fixed the problem by reviving commented code.
Activate "mii_mediachg(sc->sc_mii);" statement located
at line 822 of sys/dev/hme/if_hme.c(rev. 1.27) if your
system is NOT "Netra t1 100".

If your system is "Netra t1 100", your best bet would be
half-duplex with some kind force mechanism.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon
--