Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 09:59:58 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Startup scripts

    Bill> Yes! Yes! Yes... this looks a lot like SVR4 (well, AT&T did
    Bill> this in SVR3).  I tend to like the method they use.

Ugh!  Ugh ugh!  Ugh ugh ugh!  Ugh!

I'm sure AT&Ts intentions were good: they probably wanted to make it
easy to administrate a host by providing simple entry points to start
and stop entire subsystems, by defining run levels and letting only
necessary daemons run where they need to.

But all they got was a MESS.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

I was in the grocery store.  I saw a sign that said "pet supplies."
So I did.  Then I went outside and saw a sign that said "compact
cars"... -- Steven Wright