Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:57:23 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] file synchronization between two machines

On 03/25/03 06:40 PM, Yonatan Bokovza sat at the `puter and typed:
> > On Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003, at 08:01 US/Pacific, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all.  Sorry for the OT question, but here goes.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of a tool or method that can check the last modification
> > > date of two files under these conditions and keep them in sync?
> >
> > I've never tried this, but you might give rsync with the -u option a
> > try (test it first on unimportant files).  I believe you
> > would need to
> > run it on both machines as it would only update in one direction.
>
> rsync (from ports/net/rsync) does not need a peer on the other side.
> You can think of is as a clever scp- you can copy to/from one server
> to/from another server, only rsync can sync files on the block level,
> so it's supposed to be more efficient than merely copying the files over.
> For your case, I'd say run a cron job at the firewalled machine to rsync
> the files over to the other one.

That sounds right, but what if the file last changed on the remote
machine?  Will rsync copy the newer remote copy to the local machine
when necessary and copy the newer local copy to the remote machine
when necessary?  This is the problem, really.  Running rsync on both
machines won't do any good, because the remote machine can't come
thru the firewall.

I had already thought of another recommendation to use CVS, but that
wouldn't work because the files are M$ Word (eww).

Thanks everyone for your replies

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Sacher's Observation:
  Some people grow with responsibility -- others merely swell.