Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:18:51 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <Alex.Kovalenko@verizon.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>, Paul Allen <nospam@ugcs.caltech.edu>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on the  KSE option

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 20:51 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:

> >> no,  fairness is making sure that 1000 process scope threads
> >> do not negatively impact other processes.
> >> 1000 system  scope threads are controlled by your ulimit settings
> >> (Each one counts as a process.)
> >>

> > I apologize for misinterpreting your words. But then, if I have M:N set
> > to 10:1, I would expect application with 1000 process scope threads to
> > have as many CPU slots as 100 processes, or, if I have 10 system scope
> > threads and 990 process scope threads, I would expect application to
> > have as many CPU slots as 109 processes. Is this what you refer to as
> > "fairness"?
> >

> M:N is not a ratio, but rather the notation to say that M user threads
> are enacted using N kernel schedulable entities (kernel threads).
> usually N is limited to something like NCPU kernel schedulable entities
>   running at a time. (not including sleeping threads waiting for IO)
> (NCPU  is the number of CPUs).
>
> so in fact M:N is usually M user threads over over some number like 4 or
> 8 kernel threads (depending on #cpus) plus the number of threads waiting
> for IO.
>
> Julian
In the environment I am most familiar with -- IBM AIX -- M:N is the
ratio and it is settable either systemwide or  for the specific user
using environment variable, e.g.:

export AIXTHREAD_MNRATIO=8:1

with the minimum kernel threads allocated according to another setting:

export AIXTHREAD_MINKTHREADS=4

Neither one depends on the physical CPU count in the box (which could
change in the middle of application execution anyway).

Both settings have known default values (8:1 and 8 respectively).

Between the two I can always tell how many kernel threads given amount
of the process scope threads will use. This gives me both flexibility
and predictability.

Am I understanding correctly that what you have implemented fixes number
of kernel threads at boot time and changes the M:N ratio throughout the
run time of the application?

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko