Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 1995 12:19:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sig 11 and -current problems.

> >"Make world" again. Led to similar sig 11s of "make" mostly.
> >vii) Abandon make world, reboot with kernel built from Aug sources;
> >viii) Rebuild with "Make world". No sig 11s.  Make completes with no
> >problems all the way and install the binaries, libs, lkms etc..
> >ix) Rebuild a Kernel now, and reboot. All seems to be fine.
> >
> >So in a jist, I guess, the order of the making a "Kernel" with supped sources,
> >as opposed to "make world install" , followed by the kernel rebuild, seems to
> >result in a working machine once again.
>
>    Hmmm, that's interesting. John told me earlier that he was having trouble
> with some binaries if they were built with -O2...I don't know why we didn't
> notice these earlier (-O2 is known broken in gcc 2.6.3). I don't know if this
> is at all related.
>    Thanks for the info.
>
> -DG

Well I haven't got rid of al the sig 11s yet. :( The only way at the moment
for me is to run with a kernel that I compiled on 3 Sept.

At first I had lots of sig 11s. Then I recompiled all the libraries, installed
them and recompiled and installed all the programs that sig 11ed. That left
me with just a few - rm, sed and login that still sig 11 when I reboot with
a new kernel. I then did a make world which I had to help a little because
ncrcontrol didn't compile. When I rebooted with a new kernel, login still
coredumped with a sig 11. I then recompiled login static and now it works.
Then when I started X, xterm coredumped with a sig 11.

Well I don't have the diskspace to recompile X, so now I am using the old
kernel again. It seems to be working fine with the new libs and programs.
(Maybe we have forward compatability and not backward compatability? :-))

Something that I don't understand is why userlevel programs like sed, login
xterm etc. are so sensitive to the vm changes. I thought that they shouldn't
even be aware of the changes. They don't seem to care if being run on an old
kernel.

This is on -current (getting it withctm) not -stable.

--
John Hay -- John.Hay@csir.co.za