Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:17:23 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where wasFreeBSD?

At 12:50 PM 11/25/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

>But Brett, you just continually refuse to accept the fact that by the
>time ANY system goes from development to field acceptance, the
>probability of such security flaws being uncovered is nearly 100%.
>ANY system.
>

>No system is perfect, and the script kiddies and their cracker task-
>masters are continually probing and learning more.  As they learn more
>and break systems, we learn more and fix them; it's a symbiotic (well,
>parasitic) relationship.

True. But to give someone an old disk with known exploits is to throw
a new user into the line of fire without even the advantage YOU have (since
you, at least, have the latest version in which most of the newly
discovered exploits have been fixed). It is not, to my way of thinking,
an ethical or beneficial thing to drop the new user into the deep end
of a pool... full of pirhana.

>Are you under the impression you WOULDN'T have gotten hacked last
>summer if you been running Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, or Windows NT?

No. Why would you infer this from my earlier message?

>It's long past time to admit the problem was caused by nobody being
>at home when the exploit occurred, rather than any inherent evil in
>FreeBSD, and JUST GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE!

No; the problem was due to negligence on the part of engineers at
Qualcomm. The fact that I didn't get out of the car in the middle of
the highway the instant the manufacturer announced a recall on the
brakes doesn't mean that the manufacturer is absolved of negligence.

--Brett