Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:00:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Kevin Day wrote:

> > I think you're panicking prematurely, Ugen.  You're also checking the
> > very bottom of the market, and you're exaggerating (in your comment
> > about shelling out lot's of cash for a conventional modem) the cost of
> > a regular modem.  Things just aren't that desperate.
> >
> > It's possible the trend is in a direction I don't like, but I'll still
> > keep my external conventional modem.  It's 33.6, not 56, which means
> > that my friends can dial into my system, which they can't do if it's a
> > 56K.  That's very nice sometimes.
> >

> Well, he's partially true.
>
> We're looking at mass buying several thousand PCI modems. The cost for a
> non-winmodem model is about 3x the Winmodem style. (You can buy winmodems
> very cheap, since everyone is making them now. You can't buy non-winmodem's
> cheap because only a few are doing it, and they now charge a premium for
> this).
>
> Another issue is the upcoming death of ISA. Several of Intel's next chipsets
> don't support ISA at all, making this a somewhat timely problem.

You're looking at this (quite naturally) from the point of view of a PC
user.  Not everyone is, you know, and the non-PC user market is large
enough to ensure regular modems don't go away.

> Kevin

Chuck Robey                | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr@mat.net             | communications topic, C programming, Unix and
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 | carpentry.  It's all in the design!
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD/i386
(301) 220-2114             | jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD/Alpha