Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 00:43:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

> > >I fail to see how you can read anything bad into this announcement.  If
> > >you're really concerned, you have just as much right to the code as any
> > >one else, feel free to take the 4.0 code base and create your own system.
> > >BSDidier has a nice ring to it.
> > >
> > >Personally, I've been running FreeBSD since 1.0, and I'll be sticking
> > >with it for quite some time to come.
> >
> > Ever read Animal Farm? Remember that BSD/OS started out as "cheap with
> > source" and grew into "just another OS company". Good ideas can turn bad
> > very quickly.
>
> Instead of assuming that they are going to "go wrong", why not give them a
> chance to do it right?  Everything is in place for exactly the right
> things to happen, I couldn't have planned it better myself, but some folks
> aren't happy unless they see conspiracy.
>
> When you see something wrong, you can speak up, but stop complaining about
> stuff that hasn't even happened yet.  You could generate enough ill
> feelings and bad publicity to *cause yourself* the exact thing you're
> worried about.

	What's there to worry about anyway?  If things go good, we have a
better FreeBSD. If things go wrong, just branch off the source!

-----
In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a baseball bat,
and software is the stuff you can only swear at.
   -from a web page explaining what hardware, software, and firmware are
----