Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2022 09:44:29 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Carmel <carmel_ny@outlook.com>, awalker@ixsystems.com
Subject:   Re: Updating Samba

Hi all,

> Am 19.06.2022 um 12:52 schrieb Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>:
> iXsystems ported Samba 4.15 for TrueNAS. I don't know why they did not =
try to get that into the regular ports tree or how much effort it took =
them to accomplish this. I'll cc the maintainer of them.

I don't understand why iXsystems keep a complete fork of the ports tree
and don't upstream anything (?). There's a similar issue with collectd.
They vastly improved their version, but I have no idea how to get their
changes back into FreeBSD. All they do is BSD licensed, so that is =
definitely
not a problem.

I have tried to contact the collectd maintainer without success, =
unfortunately.
Just open a pr with a "patch" that is a complete replacement with ix' =
version?

I occasionally create ports if some software is required by my coworkers =
in
development and we upstream everything. I think it's the only feasable
way in an open source ecosystem.

Kind regards,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen
.infrastructure

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian =
Stein