Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:57:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DP2 (I think!) crash booting from floppies

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> "local.freebsd.current" wrote:
> > I got a pair of floppies from:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/5.0-20021103-SNAP/floppies/
> >
> > and booted them on a Dell Dimension XPS D300 which is currently
> > running 4.7. It's a PII/300 with an Adaptec 2940 SCSI and an
> > STB Riva graphics card.
> >
> > When booting the kernel off the second floppy I get:
> >
> > Booting [/kernel]...
> > /
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode
> > fault virtual address  = 0x9f800
> > instruction pointer    = 0xf000:0x8c3e
>
> Patch which was never integrated.  Build a new kernel.
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=341812+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021027.freebsd-current

Can someone get the memory detection (int 12) back to stable?  The
conservative approach seems to only have the limitation of "losing" 640k
whereas the experimental approach causes panics.

Can we take such critical experiments out of the base system and let them
mature as a patch?  I heard something about a release coming up or
something like that.

-Nate