Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 23:07:30 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        perlsta@sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reset screen hardware?

> > > Last night X crashed on me, i thought my machine needed to be rebooted,
> > > but first i tried to telnet into it, i was able and i killed X and had to
> > > restart X twice to get it to work, well everything seemed fine after that,
> > > however my Text consols were all fubar'd and i had no idea how to reset
> > > the text part of my display to i wound up rebooting anyway.
> > >
> > > What could i have done to reset the text screens?
> >
> > Well, not much actually, UNLESS you have intimate knowledge, and the
> > means to use it in a program, about your video chip.
>
> Well setting a text mode is in the bios, but of course FreeBSD bypasses
> the bios, so i'm sure it has some routine somewhere to clear the screen
> and set up the 80x25 text screen...

That was what I meant by intimate knowledge of the video chip(set)...
You see each vendor has his own method to set the HW into higher than
VGA modes. Syscons ONLY knows about std modes for good reason, so
you need code for YOUR specific video HW.
To get an idea of how much this takes look at all the videochip specific
code there is in XFree86's Xserver and you'll quickly discover why the
code isn't in the kernel.

> if it could do that then i could take down X, refresh 80x25, the restart X
> and everything would be cool :)

And now we get Terry's lesson on how to put ddx in the kernel, *sigh*

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..