Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:31:31 -0500
From:      Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@stat.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_add(1) logic

The following error message from pkg_add(1) doesn't make sense [to me]:

amelia:/var/db/pkg# pkg_add -r bash
Fetching ftp://blah/packages/Latest/mysql-client.tgz... Done.
pkg_add: package 'mysql-client-3.23.52' or its older version already=20
installed
amelia:/var/db/pkg# ls -d mysql-client*
mysql-client-3.23.49

Yes, that's correct: an /OLDER/ version is installed.  I would like to=20
update to the version on the ftp server.  That's why I ran pkg_add.  Why=20
does it not update the package without the -f flag?  I realize that there=
=20
is now a pkg_update command, but it lacks the ability to fetch packages -=
-=20
and their dependencies -- remotely.

Would anyone like to explain this logic?

Thanks.

Eric

--=20
Eric van Gyzen
                   Sr. Systems Programmer, ISDS, Duke University
PGP Public Key:  http://www.stat.duke.edu/~vangyzen/vangyzen.asc