Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:43:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@mail.iaces.com>
To:        dpilgrim@uswest.net (Nocturne)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cisco 675 [Was: Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD]

In a previous message, Nocturne said:
> "Paul T. Root" wrote:
> > You can't switch it at will. You have to have the proper service from
> > your ISP's Megacentral.
>
> There are about a dozen non-telco ISPs here that offer DSL service.
> Assuming that I could get the proper service if I wanted it....

Well sure, if an ISP has ppp mode then you have a choice, but you have
to setup with the ISP that you want to be connected with PPP instead of
bridge mode. You can't do it on a whime.

> > Routing has the advantage that it also does NAT, thus only taking one
> > IP address from the ISP. However, with the code I have on my 675 (I think
> > it's 2.0.1), ssh doesn't work thru NAT. A fix is in the works (I hope, at
> > least I informed my higher ups who work with Cisco).
>
> What would be the advantage of using the 675 as a router versus using
> bridge mode paired with a box running services?

I don't think there is any advantage to using PPP mode if all you have is
one system. The advantage is that if you have more than one machine, they
will get there ip address from the 675's dhcp server (It's configured to use
10.0.0.0 net, with it set at 10.0.0.1. Obviously, you could pick your own
address, probably at the higher end of the subnet. It uses a 24 bit mask.

--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
 tried it."