Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:45:29 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        "Eric M Logan" <ericmlogan@mediaone.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: about gftp...

> since updating to 4.3 I've noticed that a lot of ports have been
marked
> broken.  For instance, reportmagic, netscape*, and GFTP.  Especially
in
> regards to Gftp, if a port is marked broken is that it?  No more app
and
> deal with it?  It's been suggested that the Makefile in the ports
dir
> could be modified so that the app can be installed anyway but what's
the
> proper thing to do as I don't want to install a port that has been
> marked broken?  Thanks.

I've been experiencing similar problems since I started using CVSUP in
4.2 &
even after installing 4.3 RELEASE the problems continue. In most cases
it
appears to related to missing libraries or incompatible dependency.
(eg I think
its Webmin that insists on SSLeay but even though that was supposed to
have
been replaced by the OpenSSH thats included in default 4.3, the Webmin
port
isn't smart enough to know that. One of the experts told me about a
workaround
that seems to work, but I dunno that "workarounds" should be regarded
as best
practice.

Now when I find something I  want is broken / verboten / whatever I've
been going
to the homepage for the particular application, grabbing the source &
compiling that.
I suspect that may not be 100% kosher, but so far every one I've done
that way
has worked properly  (fingers crossed) :)