Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:24:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        jcampb@cixs.org (Joe Campbell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with PPP

> Hi,
>
>    I'm having some difficulty in getting (user process) ppp to run
> properly on my machine. I'm using version 2.1 of the operating system. I
> followed the instructions given in section 11 of the handbook, read
> manpages on ppp, route, routed and ifconfig and still can't get the
> interface to operated. For starters my ISP doesn't use a login prompt
> for starting ppp. According to him all I should have to do is pass my
> username and password using pap and I should then be connected. Of course
> this doesn't work, by setting my authname and authkey.

You need to 'accept pap', and probably 'set openmode active'.

here is what I use (though I use chap these days):

You can just comment out 'accept chap' and uncomment 'accept pap',
I had been using PAP earlier.

Uncomment the 'set debug ...' line and everything you every wanted to
know about what is going on between you and your provider will appear
in /var/log/messages.

:myisp
 deny lqr
 disable lqr
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 set timeout 0
# set debug phase chat lcp lqm hdlc async
 set phone 5551212
# enable pap
# accept pap
 accept chap
# enable chap
 set authname myname
 set authkey mychapsecret
 set ifaddr 205.216.174.5 205.216.174.1
 set openmode active
 dial
 add 0 0 205.216.174.1

> not allow me to create one. Ok.... is there anything obvious i'm doing
> wrong, and how can i stop route from timing out tun0.

kill routed.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@mediacity.com>
http[s]://www.mpress.com