Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:29:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SRM of Digital personal workstation can only works just with matrox ?

ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp writes:
 > Dear sirs
 >
 > SRM of Digital personal workstation can only works just with matrox ?
 >
 > I tried to install FreeBSD4.0/Alpha into Digitalpersonal workstation600a.
 > I tried  changing AlphaBios to srm. At bootin,itsaid "illeagal device on slot 5"
 >
 > It was the display card "powerstorm" that has been working with windows/NT4.0.
 >
 > I  changed it with Mach64(rage128?), Number9 GXE64pro and so on, but the boot
 >       failed.
 >
 > My friend said that srm for it can work only withmatrox.
 >
 > Is that true?

No. It is not.

You have a Miata with the extra-buggy pyxis chipset & the SRM console
is attempting to prevent you from blowing your foot off.  The SRM
console maintains a list of PCI cards whose Tru64 device drivers are
known not to do DMA reads across page bounaries.  The powerstorm card
is apparently not in that list, so the SRM console won't let you boot
with an unknown card in slots 4 or 5 (the other 3 slots are behind a
ppb which breaks up DMAs).

Since you don't care about this, you should be able to do:

>>> set pci_device_override -1

Then you should be able to boot with the powerstorm in whatever slot
you like.

BTW, I'm typing this on a 433a with a Powerstorm 4D10 sitting in slot 5.
running FreeBSD/alpha & XF86 3.3.6 of course ;-)

Cheers,

Drew