Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:20:46 -0500
From:      Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        Rajappa Iyer <rsi@panix.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin article

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:23:21PM -0400, Rajappa Iyer wrote:
> http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm
>
> Any obvious reasons why FreeBSD performed so poorly for these people?

Hrm... the filesystem test, I think, is fairly obvious. The default
filesystem configuration doesn't have softupdates. Linux always outperforms
FreeBSD on filesystem tests using "out of the box" configurations.

The others I'm iffy on. There was still a file system element in the
other tests as well (delivering e-mail) and depending on the way they
layout their email the new dirpref code may help out a bit?

-Steve