Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:50:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl
Subject:   Re: ports and cvsup

In article <200107041159.NAA22066@mail.hmth.nl>,
Jeroen Heijungs  <Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl> wrote:

> Every week I do a cvsup for all sources, docs and ports, with the default
> cvsup cfg files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.
>
> But..., with almost every port I want to install I get the message about
> the old port layout. When I go to the ftp server get the port skeleton,
> install that and do the "make" again everything works fine.
>
> I thought that the cvsup was to avoid that kind of problems, but
> obviously I made somewhere a mistake (or haven't read enough).

Probably when you ran CVSup for the first time, you already had a
ports tree on your system.  CVSup does a pretty good job of "adopting"
existing files, but when you use it like that it will not delete old
files which normally should be deleted.  That's because it doesn't
think it owns those files, because it didn't create them in the first
place.  In most situations, it doesn't hurt anything to have a few
extra files lying around.  Unfortunately, the ports tree is very
sensitive to that.

There is a safe way to adopt existing trees with CVSup.  It's
described in the CVSup FAQ here:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#caniadopt

and in the two questions that follow it.

Your safest bet at this point would be to delete your entire ports
tree and re-fetch it with CVSup.  (Don't use the "-s" option.)  The
ports tree is relatively small, so it won't take too awfully long.

Or, if you are careful and know what you're doing, you can probably
get things working by doing a systematic manual deletion of all
subdirectories named "patches" and "pkg" in your entire ports tree.

John