Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:27:09 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        anders@freebsd.org, brooks@freebsd.org, kde@freebsd.org, flz@freebsd.org, gecko@freebsd.org, bra@fsn.hu, cy@freebsd.org, ashish@freebsd.org, ale@freebsd.org, yds@coolrat.org, ler@lerctr.org, gnome@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, office@freebsd.org, gerald@freebsd.org, mi@aldan.algebra.com, ehaupt@freebsd.org, python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [linimon@FreeBSD.org: ports/170946: [patch] mark certain ports broken on ARM]

On 23.08.2012 21:47, Eitan Adler wrote:
> NOT and ONLY are meant for ports which by definition will never work
> another arch (think x86info).  In this case the ports are just broken.
That's a fine distinction, that makes little sense to me -- the total
number of ports, which can not ever work on some architecture is,
probably, a couple dozen... It is also not mentioned in the Handbook
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/dads-noinstall.html>;
at all:

  *

    If a port should be marked IGNORE only on certain architectures,
    there are two other convenience variables that will automatically
    set IGNORE for you: ONLY_FOR_ARCHS and NOT_FOR_ARCHS. Examples:

    ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386 amd64
    NOT_FOR_ARCHS= ia64 sparc64

    A custom IGNORE message can be set using ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON and
    NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON. Per architecture entries are possible with
    ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/ and NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/.

Thus, I still think, using these knobs is better -- especially, when
doing otherwise requires splitting bsd.ports.mk into
bsd.ports.{pre,post}.mk. Yours,

    -mi