Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:29:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting CD-ROM when data not on first track

> > > Doesn't matter.
>
> > It matters, in that this disc is not mountable by FreeBSD.
>
> But that's not due to the fact that FreeBSD doesn't start to remap the
> block/frame numbers, but due to the fact that FreeBSD's cd9660
> filesystem stuff doesn't care for the TOC at all.
>
> Don't try to `fix' something by uglifying it.

You mean, like putting in partition recognition code in the kernel
instead of putting it in the FS instead (like you are suggesting here)?

I have to disagree with you.  They are all members of the same class
of logical device creation...

> > > Why do you call this `stupid'?  That's the same way every Unix does.
> > > It's only that they probably miss the mount philosophy, so they could
> > > have locked the medium until it will no longer be required for paging.
> >
> > Uh, "sticky bit"... I can solve the problem in UNIX.
>
> Sticky bit?  Terry, you're riding your time-machine again, you're
> currently some ten years back.

If you will recall, I've requested the ability to force images totally
into local cache on a per FS basis by attributing the FS as "nonlocal".
The default behaviour would not do this, but in the case of a large
number of diskless machines waiting for a server reboot, it would be
a generally "Good Thing".  In the case of the sticky bit on an
single executable, if the ability to force into local cache existed,
then the force should be done.

The force should be done in any case for FS objects being used as
backing store which have been removed, so that the reference does
not go out of scope... otherwise, it will be impossible to implement
"savestate" type "shutdowns".

So you recall the discussion on how to make an install occur in about
30 seconds by restoring a running installation session and making a
tiny number of tweaks?

In any case, it is a generally useful enabling technology.  Having the
machine not barf when running from CD is just an extra bonus.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---