Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 1995 01:21:57 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Chris <cml@aureus.mother.com>
Cc:        root@io.cts.com (Morgan Davis), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clunky telnet/rlogin performance

>$! 	FreeBSD -> [ISP] -> BSD/OS
>$!
>$! It's like some kind of protocol compatibility problem, and it never gets
>$! better.
>$!
>$! If an intermediate system is used, e.g.:
>$!
>$! 	FreeBSD -> [ISP] -> SCO Unix -> BSD/OS
>$!
>$! performance is excellent.  Take the intermediate site out and it's
>$! back to sluggish response.
>
>Easy fix.

Much easier fix:

vi /etc/sysconfig

#
# Some broken implementations can't handle the RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
# TCP options.  If TCP connections randomly hang, try disabling this,
# and bug the vendor of the losing equipment.
#
tcp_extensions=NO

If this does fix the problem, I'd like to know why.  Is BSDI's implementation
of RFC1323 and RFC1644 broken or is ours?  Anyone know of some BSDI 2.0
machines that we can test against?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM