Date:      04 Mar 2003 18:57:24 -0500
From:      Chris Fowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tiny BSD Pages

I do one thing in Linux that I want to do in FreeBSD.  I store my root
file system as a blow fish, gzipped, encrypted file on a DiskOnChip.
When the Linux kernel boots it loads an initial ramdisk that will open
this file, uncompress, and decrypt.  I will then write the good data to
a ram disk.  Upon completion, it will terminate itself and the Linux
kernel will now mount /dev/ram7 as its root fs.

I do much more in my loader.  I allow flashing of that file,  I allow an
alternate method of getting the same file.  It can be on a tftp server
or in a URL like http://192.168.2.1/sw/sw-package.  But that is in the
details.  I would like to do the exact same thing with FreeBSD but I can
not find any leads on this type of configuration.  Any pointers?

Thanks,
chris