Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:28:30 +1100
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        Clemens Schrimpe <csch@kiez.net>, Francois ten Krooden <ftk@Nanoteq.com>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, strongswan <strongswan@Nanoteq.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: strongswan-5.1.1_1

On 19/02/2014 2:31 AM, Clemens Schrimpe wrote:
> On 18.02.2014, at 16:12, Francois ten Krooden <ftk@Nanoteq.com> wrote:
>
>> I will have a look on my test setup with FreeBSD to see if I can get the same error.
> Thank you. Watch for messages re: PF_ROUTE failed, like these:
>
> 21[KNL] adding PF_ROUTE route failed: Invalid argument
> 21[KNL] installing route failed: 192.68.1.1/32 via (null) src %any dev vtnet1
>

>> As far as I know there wasn’t any changes that would cause this issue.
> My suspicion is, that the PF_ROUTE interfaces vary between Linux, OpenBSD and FreeBSD - and nobody really "ported" the code. Again: This is just a rough suspicion - I need to familiarize myself with the respective interfaces within Linux / OpenBSD.
>

>>  Just a question, did you recompile the standard FreeBSD kernel to include the support for IPsec, since the default kernel does not include the IPsec support.
> Of course. And Raccoon works fine - it just sucks in so many other ways, that I'd rather use Strongswan :-)
>
> Thanks -
>
> 	Clemens

Clemens,
I only use FreeBSD 9.2Stable and Strongswan 5.1.1 performs nicely.
After setting knl=4 in charon debug, I received this:

# grep -i route /var/log/auth.log |tail -n1
Feb 20 06:17:24 admin2 charon: 11[KNL] installing route: 10.130.30.17/32
via 172.16.200.6 src 10.16.200.47 dev vga1

which seems to be what you're after.  So the issue doesn't appear to
reside with strongswan?

FYI: Downloaded and build on: FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #0: Sun Jan 19 19:07:34
EST 2014

There are two tricks with using enc0 - firstly it must be enabled
(ifconfig enc0 up) and there are some tricks to getting it to reveal
exactly what you're after, the "man 4 enc" is quite helpful.
Regards, Dewayne.