Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:33:51 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xquake + sound??

>  > and working under FreeBSD? Yeah, I realise the library is a real mess in
>  > many respects, but it is pretty much a standard for console-based games
>  > for i386 UNIX and clones. Having conversed with him a couple of times,
>  > I'm reasonably sure that Dive Kirsch could be convinced to compile a
>  > FreeBSD native version of squake, or even running the Linux version would
>  > be cool too. :) I gather we need a few hooks in syscons.
>
>  Don't care to support svgalib and it does not require a lot of work
>  to port . I have done it in the past a couple of times and flat out
>  refused to release the code.

Hmm? Then why bother to do the port? :-)

Just curious.

In any case, I'm encouraged to have a look at it. If the mods required
to syscon are minor then I'll even have a go at convincing Soren to
put 'em in. :) It can't hurt, and if the cost is small - why not? It's
another reason to run FreeBSD.

>  Since xf86quake has full access to the frame buffer I don't see much
>  of a need for svgalib. You see svgalib is mostly used to access
>  the frame buffer.

Well, sure, but without any X overhead and memory use. Not everyone
has a Pentium 120 or better with gobs of RAM.

>  And I hope that you are enjoying xquake + sound as much as I am
>  over here.

Actually, I suspect that my last statement accounts for some lack of
response.

I'll put it this way - under Linux I run squake with ctbots - it requires
a *lot* of CPU to run the bots. Even a dedicated server requires a
686 or Pentium at 150mhz or greater to run at a decent speed without
"chopping". On this machine, squake under Linux works great - and handles
up to 8 bots/team. This is *not* like playing normal quake, where the
demands are significantly less, although nightmore difficulty level is
starting to get there. Now, with xquake and even xf86quake, the X
overhead is quite noticeable. The server runs more slowly - pretty
much unusable for network play and almost unusable for even single play
with this many bots (and it is less challenging with lesser numbers,
trust me ;-)).

Now, take the machine down a peg or two and the difference between running
under X, even with the mapped frame buffer, and an svgalib based version
will be even greater.

Regards,
David