Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2017 07:52:56 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg management

--a1u0KhmIPMMISHsd83nmRThvxr1HG1mh6
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--rcrp35aKOBfmQhAqC9hQDLIxo8B3drHrE

On 12/01/2017 16:21, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Why is pkg trying to remove the version I have installed and replace
> it with an older one?  Is there some switch I am to set somewhere to
> tell pkg not to do this?

You're trying to install a different package that has a dependency on
postgresql93-client -- but postgresql93-client conflicts with
postgresql96-client so pkg would have to remove it to install
postgresql93 as you requested.  Then it also has to remove
postgresql96-{server,contrib,docs} as those all depend on
postgresql96-client.

postgresql93 is the default version of postgresql in ports at the
moment.  If you're using the standard system packages then anything that
depends on postgresql will cause the installation of
postgresql93-client, and result in the effect you described.  If you
want to use postgresql96 instead, then you need to build your own package=

	Cheers,

	Matthew