Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 18:04:09 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv update

Mark Murray:
 |While on the subject of FXTV, do you (or anyone else) have the problem
 |that the X screen gets corrupted _before_ the TV window is placed on
 |the screen?
 |
 |The corruption looks like vido data that is being placed directly onto
 |the screen (before twm has a chance to place the final window), except
 |that only every second line is seen.

No, this is the first I've heard of this behavior.  It may be related to
PAL.  Try adding "-disableDirectV" and see if you see anything different.
If not, try -colorbars, with and without -disableDirectV.  I don't know
about PAL-land, but in NTSC-land, you should see solid vertical colorbars
arranged in this order from left to right:

     white yellow cyan green magenta red blue black (and white from here out)

Let us know what you see.  There are some other PAL folks on the list that
I believe have gotten their TVs working, so maybe they can pass on some tips.

Regarding XFree versions, I have a Virge/VX and have run both 3.3 and 3.3.1
with both the S3V and SVGA drivers in 16-bit color as well.  Other folks on
the list have straight Virge cards and have also reported good results.  So
I'm inclined to think this might be PAL-support related.

BTW, the S3V server has given me best results on both 3.3 and 3.3.1.  The
SVGA server in both versions has at least four problems related to Virge
support (including hanging on second startup), all of which I've filed with
the XFree folks.  Anyway, the jist is I'm using the S3V server and am a
happy customer.  Hopefully they'll fix the few problems with the SVGA
server so we Virge folks can flip over and take advantage of XAA.

If you want to verify this isn't X-server related though, you can try
flipping servers (S3V<->SVGA) as Takeshi Ohashi suggested and/or check out
3.3.1.

 |Once I have placed it on the screen, it works just fine, barring the
 |_very_ occaisional hang. (Which could be audio- related).

Now I do see this sometimes.  Occasionally in NTSC-land when the signal
isn't real strong or the tuner isn't dead-on (this is an antenna signal),
the tuner will start to lose the signal, the capture frame rate will
sputter a bit and slow down, the picture will roll, and eventually (seconds
or minutes later -- depends on the signal) capture will just freeze with
the vertical retrace blank in the middle of the image.

Randall