Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:20:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

Jason Thorpe said:

> What planet are you on, John?  NetBSD's code is NO MORE ENCUMBERED than
> FreeBSD's.  The fact that we bitched about a copyright notice botch DOES
> NOT MEAN that NetBSD's code is somehow "more encumbered".
>
> I suspect if I removed your copyright notice from the async i/o stuff
> you wrote, put my own at the top, and then committed it to the NetBSD
> source tree, you'd be a bit annoyed, too.
>
> NOW...

A kind, reminding notice would have fostered better communications.
My comments about NetBSD's encumberance are rooted in the Alpha
issues that NetBSD has had.  By fully removing NetBSD encumberances,
we can get rid of the NetBSD --> FreeBSD sniping clause???

Encumberances aren't just legal, and if as bonafide users of your
code, we are also going to be sniped at, that is just as bad
as an obnoxious advertising clause. :-).  If we made a mistake,
a private message would have done nicely.  I have NO interest in
and in fact seriously offended by theft of code, and you can
gain great cooperation by working *with* us.

If you would have removed the copyright from the AIO stuff, you
would have gotten a message to core@NetBSD.org, cc:core@freeBSD.org.
That would have been equivalent to an infringement letter.  Such
letters are not generally publically disclosed, are they?  Of course,
that is probably true, unless the sending party is doing so for
some weird political reason, right?

If you are believing the anecdotal issues regarding the
misappropriation of early driver code, you are being mislead.
That is probably one major reason why I have not trusted (or
liked) certain NetBSD people since.  To me, that was the end
of future dealings with or around NetBSD (one cannot deal with
those that one cannot trust.)

You are very welcome to use any code that I write which is
under the BSD copyright (or freer.)  Just *please* don't take
ideas from my work without attribution...  That is probably
in the realm of mostly legal, but very rude (and shows
a little bit of deceit, by taking credit for someone elses
inventiveness.)  This only reinforces my opinion originating
several years ago.

Believe it or not, certain obvious things weren't that obvious,
were they?  If they were, why didn't those obvious things
appear before I did them?  The code has been there for how many
years?

It is best not to snipe, and I would greatly appreciate it if
you would quit stirring the pot.