Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <richard@nova.eri.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP connection "hanging"

Hello everyone,

I have a nagging problem with PPP.  I am running 2.2.6-RELEASE and I am
getting ready to go to STABLE, however ld.so complains about not being
able to find the shared lib libXaw.so.6.1.  That is another matter, but if
anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

I have ISDN and am using an older Impact IQ TA clone-look-alike made by
QuickAccess Gateway, if the info on the front panel is accurate.
Apparently 3COM acquired them once upon a time ago.

I can get PPP to dial, connect, and route with no problems.  Everything
works very well, but, the connection seems to hang.  It never drops
cleanly, meaning the B1 channel light never goes out and I still have the
'PPP' when I run pppctl, so ppp still thinks it is connected.  Routing,
however, just seems to stop until I send a 'kill -INT' signal to ppp which
causes the connection to drop and redial and then everything is happy.

If it matters, I am not doing NAT.  I have an address block of 16 IP's,
but I am allowing PPP to grab and assign the addresses in ppp.conf, even
though they are the same every time on both the server's side and mine.
The FreeBSD box is serving as a gateway for a Win95 machine I have on
the network.

Now here is where it get really strange, to me.  I can FTP all day.  In
fact, I did just that and transfered about 300Megs of files without a
problem.  I can also be connected via secure shell for hours at a time,
doing mail and news.  The only time it has "hung" so far is while I am
"surfing the web" on the Win95 box.  It just stops and if I let it sit
there for about two minutes, the connection will automatically restart
everything will again work.  I dug through the ppp.log file and I saw a
line referring to too many ECHO LQR packets lost at the time the
connection was dropped and redialed.  I do have Link Quality Reporting
enabled and accepted in ppp.conf.

Humm... anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,
-Richard.