Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:38:38 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bt848 Missing frames fix

Amancio Hasty:
 |As for general driver stability I use the driver here every day must
 |say to watch TV 8)

Speaking of stability, that was actually going to be my next question.
Over the past few days, I've noticed 3 or 4 times when I'm typing around in
my XTerm with the TV going, I'll see a bit of font corruption in the text
that's being refreshed at that time and less than a second later, the X
server and system is completely locked.  Ctrl-Bksp, Ctrl-Alt-Del, mouse,
all locked -- though the video keeps right on cooking, and the video card
keeps right on blasting the updated video.  So the Wincast card, video
refresh, and PCI-to-PCI DMA sure isn't dead, but the X server (at least)
seems to be.

Is just leaving the console open, trying to keep it in the viewport of my
desktop, and hoping for some useful messages will appear the best course?
Or is there some other option I might try that might stand a shot of
triggering a fault or kernel panic -- generating some useful core dump --
that I can try.

Any way to hard-wire a key to panic the kernel?  Any other suggestions for
tracking this?

Randall