Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:36:55 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on Toshiba laptop

Last week, I bought a Toshiba 2595XDVD laptop and, since my house
and cubicle are Microsoft-free zones, installed FreeBSD 3.3 on it.
This has been my second experience with a FreeBSD laptop. Except
for some nits, it's gone well.  I need help with those nits.

First, this thing has built in sound devices, based on the ESS ES1978
chipset, claims SB Pro compatibility, etc.  The only noise I can
get out of it is the BEEP when I try to backspace too far.  Both the
Voxware SB drivers and Luigi Rizzo's pcm driver simply say "pcm0
not found" or "sb0 not found".  I've scoured the man pages, etc.,
ad nauseum.  I am obviously missing something.  What, I don't know.
Anyone gotten sound to work on a similar (or identical) laptop?

Second, the builtin modem; I've got it set at default locations in
the BIOS (com2, 0x2f8, irq 3) but all I get at boot is
"sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: not found"
The device sio1 line in my config is the standard one.  I'm not
sure what the message about probed irqs really means, but I suspect
the builtin device is a WinModem.  Can't get anything from Toshiba
yet.   In any case, what does that message mean?

The good news is that most things work with this machine.  Got X
up and running at 1024x768x64k, looks great.  Machine is nice and
fast, has some really neat features.  But I would *really*
appreciate some help with these two areas.  Thanks in advance.

Dann Lunsford