Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:23:03 -0400
From:      Steve Polyack <spolyack@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: amr driver issues in 7.1-RELEASE]

> It appears this has not been fixed in 7.1-p4 I've been waiting to upgrade due
> to this but was forced after latest root exploit was found recently. Upon MySQL
> upgrade, running mysql_upgrade which upgrades and checks all the tables,
> I got 2 of these messages while a large ,1.4G, mysql table was being dumped
> to array so it could be repaired. I don't know what to make of this error and
> are not sure if it could be safely ignored.
>
> amr0: Too many retries on command 0xc71ceaa8.  Controller is likely dead
> amr0: Too many retries on command 0xc71cdce8.  Controller is likely dead
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> -Simon

We still see these as well.  I've also been ensured that these are
harmless messages.  As far as I can tell from my own investigation, the
behavior has not changed other than the addition of tracking of how many
retries there have been when submitting commands to the controller.
When the controller mailbox is "busy", the driver must wait before
submitting a command.  If the driver has to retry 1000 times twice
within one second, it logs the messages you are seeing.  This logging
was simply not present before 7.1.

As I've said and been told, the message is harmless if your machine is
still responding.