Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:00:08 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        andykinney@advantagecom.net
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: increasing KVA_PAGES and broken pthreads

Andrew Kinney wrote:
> Really?  I was under the impression that FreeBSD was capable of
> addressing 8TB of RAM if the hardware supports it.  Don't
> remember which FreeBSD list archive I read that in, but it's not a
> topic that seems to come up often since most hardware is limited
> to 4GB of address space.  I've got access to hardware that can
> address 32GB of RAM.  Not sure of the exact details of how it
> works (multiple external memory managers?), but it's a quad Xeon
> board by SuperMicro.

No, it can not access 32G of RAM.  It can access a 4G window on
32G of RAM.

> If it's a question of "is there any application that can ever use that
> much RAM", we're certainly testing the limits here. :-)  We're not
> swapping at all with 4GB, but on several occasions we've gotten
> close or swapped a few hundred KB.  Our two little 2GHz CPUs
> are humming right along, but most of the time they're better than
> 60% idle.  I imagine that if we pushed the CPUs a bit harder or got
> hit with a big traffic spike, we'd probably start swapping and want to
> start thinking about a system that can handle more RAM.

Suggest you examine:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1124056+0+archive/2003/freebsd-current/20030316.freebsd-current>;

Specifically, search for "Jake Burkholder".

Likely, when this is committed, it will be treated as "a different
architecture" (IMO), rather than "Patches to i386".  See the recent
PC98 "It's ISA!"/"It's not!"/"Is too!"/"Is not!"/... discussion for
details as to why.

-- Terry