Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:26:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael P. Deslippe" <listadm@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password List

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Michael P. Deslippe wrote:

> I am about to convert a machine with FreeBSD 2.1.6 to 2.2.  I want to
> reformat and install from scratch.  What do I have to do to save and
> transfer my USERS password files.  I don't want everyone to have to logon
> again - in fact, I'd like the change to be as transparent as possible.  What
> do I have to do?

"Transparent" and "reformat" don't go in the same sentence. :)  You
DON'T want to reformat and install from scratch; you will
be perfectly OK performing an in-place upgrade (use the 'upgrade' option
in sysinstall).   I've done this since 2.1.0 on this box and don't notice
any problems yet (other than the leftover binary here and there).

Words of warning:

BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP
/ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!
BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP
/ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!  BACK UP /ETC!!

We also move to /etc/rc.conf, and 2.2.2 sysinstall doesn't quite deal with
it right. Usually it ends up corrupted in some way.  A little time with vi
can get it back up again.  And, install the src/etc distribution; you'll
need to do a 'cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc' when you get up, somehow it
got left behind.  You'll get annoying login messages about 'unknown login
class root' if you don't.

See ERRATA.TXT on the top level 2.2.2 tree for the latest.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo