Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:45:25 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, Ted Hatfield <ted@io-tx.com>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

--nextPart3649567.VCpAAKgml0

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 11:01:18 Ted Hatfield wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >>=20
> >> "code, not policy" ... ?
> >=20
> > Well... is _is_ policy and meant as such.  We make decisions for ports
> > users all the time, and this is no exception.
>=20
> If procmail has no ongoing security issues and it compiles and installs
> with no problems what's the reasoning behind removing it from the ports
> tree?
>=20
> As far as I can see the reasoning advocated at this time is that
> procmail hasn't been in active development since 2001.  Shouldn't that
> be seen as a sign of stability.
>=20
> I'm not a software developer so maybe I'm missing something obvious
> about this situation.  Feel free to educate/convice me that I should
> make the effort to switch from procmail to maildrop.
>=20
> I've been using procmail now for 16 years and I'm very happy with it's
> performance.  Moving to maildrop would be a significant amount of effort
> for both me and my users.
>=20
> Ted Hatfield

I second that, I also have it installed in several places and haven't had a=
ny=20
problems. I don't want to have to move to another app just because someone=
=20
feels like deprecating a mature port. I think the old addage "if it ain't=20
broke" applies here.

Beech

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html