Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:12:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: profiling library smaller than non-profiling, while it contains more symbols. Why?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Thu Jul 12 17:34:12 2012
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:31:31 +0100
> From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: profiling library smaller than non-profiling,
> 	while it contains more symbols. Why?
>
> While updating my port (math/slatec) to use
> the new OPTIONS framework, I did some
> experiments with the profiling library.
>
> I don't know much about this, so what surprised me
> is that the profiling library is smaller:
>
> # ls -al lib*a
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6582354 Jul 12 22:56 libslatec.a
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6555122 Jul 12 23:02 libslatec_p.a
> #

It it possible that libslatac.a has debggingn symbols, and the profiling
library does not?

Or that the profiling library was compiled with a lower degree of
optimization ?  (many of the 'higher'-level optimizations cause
_larger_, albeit faster, code to be generated)

Any other differences in compilation flags?