Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:22:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        tmoestl@gmx.net
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: changes to MI bus code for sparc64

In article <20011216023321.C458@crow.dom2ip.de>,
Thomas Moestl  <tmoestl@gmx.net> wrote:
>This should remove all the changes you did not like, except the
>addition to the resource manager. I do not see a good alternative to
>this last change, and I think I did not fully understand what you did
>not like about it (taking into consideration the task I am using it
>for); I'm of course open for further discussion.

It was always my intent that the resource manager be able to deal with
alignment and boundary constraints -- or indeed, entirely arbitrary
constraints.  I dropped that support early on in the process of
implementation because it made things more complex than I absolutely
needed in order to get things working on the i386.  (The resource
manager should be able to represent any resource that the busdma API
needs.)

Probably there should be a separate interface,
rman_alloc_resource_callback(), which uses its callback parameter to
validate potential allocations.  (The callback can return an integer
suggesting how far ahead to skip before trying the next allocation --
hopefully most architectures which need this will be making mostly
conveniently-aligned requests.)

-GAWollman