Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:09:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        toasty@dragondata.com (Kevin Day), ugen@xonix.com (Ugen Antsilevitch), questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

> > Well, he's partially true.
> >
> > We're looking at mass buying several thousand PCI modems. The cost for a
> > non-winmodem model is about 3x the Winmodem style. (You can buy winmodems
> > very cheap, since everyone is making them now. You can't buy non-winmodem's
> > cheap because only a few are doing it, and they now charge a premium for
> > this).
> >
> > Another issue is the upcoming death of ISA. Several of Intel's next chipsets
> > don't support ISA at all, making this a somewhat timely problem.
>
> You're looking at this (quite naturally) from the point of view of a PC
> user.  Not everyone is, you know, and the non-PC user market is large
> enough to ensure regular modems don't go away.

Actually, I'm not. :)

This is an embedded product using (mostly) custom hardware.

I don't forsee the loss of external modems any time soon, they just aren't
an option for our size requirements.

As for internal modems, nearly everyone we talked to was dumping their ISA
support, and Intel is really keen on getting rid of ISA.

I'm not saying that I think non-winmodem PCI modems are going to disappear,
but just having gone through this battle, I know it's getting difficult.

Kevin