Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:38:42 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

On 08/05/01 11:25 AM, Mike Meyer sat at the `puter and typed:
> <SNIP>
>
> Since it picks IP addresses at random, any given IP address should see
> the same number of hits. Depending on the nature of the RNG used,
> some sites may be immune. Sites running on server farms with lots of
> IP addresses will see the same number of hits per IP as those of us on
> single sites, but the total will be proportionately greater.
>
> What scares me is the possibilitity of near-exponential growth of the
> thing. I've put up a plot of hits/hour since it started - at about 9am
> CDT - to now at <URL: http://www.mired.org/codered.ps >. Discount the
> last data point - it only includes about 15 minutes of hits. The large
> jump around 9am 8/4 got me, but it seems to have peaked at 45/hour,
> and fallen back to ~15/hour. I can understand the levelling out as the
> population of suspect servers approaches saturation, but why is did it
> drop off? Or is the spike just random noise?

More likely, it is the scramble of M$ system admins worldwide
installing patches and correcting configurations to slow the worms
progress.  Meanwhile, most of the *nix admins get to have their
weekend to themselves :)

</snippy comment>

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Truth is the most valuable thing we have -- so let us economize it.
    -- Mark Twain