Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 16:06:57 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT and GENERIC - between a rock and a generic place.

At 3:30 PM -0500 5/31/97, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>More and more people are trying to use GENERIC as a template for their
>own kernels and they're losing, of course, because generic sets many
>limits (like max children or open files) too low.

>1. Someone starts off the discussion with "Well, why don't we just make up
>   some canned NEWS_SERVER, DESKTOP, WEB_SERVER and so on config files?
>   We can put comments at the beginning of each about how the user should
>   customize that file to fit certain situations and Bob's your bloody
>   uncle, we're there!"

"Well, why don't we just make up some canned NEWS_SERVER, DESKTOP,
WEB_SERVER and so on config files? We can put comments at the beginning of
each about how the user should customize that file to fit certain
situations and Bob's your bloody uncle, we're there!"

"What we really need here is a config file metaformat which encodes all the
information ..."

And I know somebody would be willing to help commit/debug/etc. it once
someone else wrote it.

However, in the interim, the first "solution" is 1) low tech, 2) small, and
3) easily replaced when something better exists.

You can guess how I would "vote".