Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:18:44 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Randomness and vnodes

Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 March 1999 at 19:04:19 +0200, Mark Murray wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > One for you filesystem types; of all the parts of a struct vnode,
> > which are the most dynamic? Which would be the most usable as
> > input for an entropy collector running in the namei cache?
> >
> > The ones I am most interested in are the simple types; pointers,
> > ints (short or long) or chars. Volatile would be good :-)
>
> Depends on how many bits you want.  Most pointers will have the top 4
> bits set and the bottom 2 bits cleared.  Why do you want to use a
> vnode?

I don't care, as long as there is some entropy.

I want to add a entropy harvester into the namei cache, and if I can
also pass in some genuine junk, that helps things.

For interrupts, the interrupt number is used; for the keyboard, scancodes;
the available environmental stuff in the namei cache is centred around
vnodes, so I'm looking for dirt in them. Heck - I may just xor the whole
thing into an int to get some junk if necessary.

Mark Murray