Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 11:22:21 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   feedback please: "freebsd-production"

Please reply privately to me, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>.

What I would like to do is start a service where binary upgrades
are provided to _critical_ systems such as the kernel and services
like ftp and ssh.

The idea is that one should ideally be able to keep a FreeBSD box
in production without having to upgrade it for several years because
of updates provided from this service.

Although CVSup and rebuilding kernels can be a fun thing to do, it
sure gets unwieldly and unfun when it has to be performed remotely
or suddenly because a security advisory.  It can be especially
painful when it needs to be done on large clusters of machines.

Updates will be as simple as uploading a update.tgz and running
pkg_add (package add) on it.  There will be a mailing list to
annouce updates as they become available.  There will also be
instructions, tips and tricks for updating clusters of machines
all at the same time.

While I know a lot of you would like to see this come about as a
free service, I do not have the resources to do it at zero cost.

What I would like is serious feedback in private mail from parties
interested in this service.

What I need to know is:
1) How much you would be willing to pay for this service.
   Flat rate?  Per machine?  Extra for source code access?
2) Suggestions for the ideal way this would work for your company.
3) If anything extra would be required for you to consider the
   service.

I plan on basing this service off the 4.3 release of FreeBSD.

Again, please reply privately to me, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>.

Thank you,
--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"